Wednesday, October 27, 2010

A little of this, that

Here in Georgia... on the way to the Zugdidi train station... around 10pm one evening, I witnessed the most selfless act I have ever seen. Before I get into the story I have to tell you a bit about the terrain in Zugdidi. First, there are lots of rocks…everywhere. It’s a running joke that all Russia left here was a bunch of rocks. Along with rocks there are lots of farm animals running amuck…cows, pigs, I even saw a flock of sheep on a main road once. It’s pretty typical for your speeding taxi driver (there aren’t really any speed limits and definitely no seat belts) to have to swerve and slam on the breaks to avoid cows and pigs on the roadway. ..Now that you have a little back ground, my story continues. We were walking down the road to the train station when I happened to kick a pile of poo (a cow patty) up onto my flip flop… I immediately started to scream (obviously) . But then, out of nowhere a man came and took my shoe and cleaned it off using a rock and water from his bottle. He brought back my sparkling clean shoe (not exactly, but you get the idea) and then walked off before I could even say thank you! He was my magical poo fairy! I was SO amazed by this selfless, random act of kindness. My friends and I were all laughing in amazement because this entire event (from kick to clean) took place in a matter of minutes. This is a funny story, but to me, it does sum up Georgian hospitality in a nut shell. People are willing to go out of their way to help you without any expectation of recognition or thanks. Cheers to you Georgia! :)

Our cows in the back yard

Our cow's poo on the street in front of our house

2 comments:

  1. Funny. Actually I;m surprised that you lasted that long in Zugdidi... I've never been there... and probably will never visit that place. I don't know, does not sound like fun place to me. But kudos to the people who stay. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello ,i am sorry to disturb but have to ask for a great favour .i am a student and now i am writing my thesis on topic native and non-naitve enlish speaker teachers .and if possible i would like to ask you osme quesitons aobut TLG program and send you a questionnaire .i would really appreciate it .
    best regards ,
    i am forward to heairng form you and get your help

    ReplyDelete