Wednesday, October 27, 2010

hot, hot, heat (this is long overdue...)


So up until a couple weeks ago, we were still having Texas style temperatures here. And with no a/c, nighttime was my worst enemy. There’s nothing worse than trying to sleep in stagnant, humid, heat…or so I thought.



Due to the stifling heat, I had to sleep with my windows open, which led to some fun, new problems. #1, mosquitoes…ridiculous, plentiful, and apparently only after foreigners. I had over 100 bites on my legs at one point. And that’s fine if you want to treat me like a buffet, I get it. But they take it a step further and insist on swarming my face. So I have a constant buzzing noise that sounds like a high pitch mini airplane. It drives me CRAZY. This then leads to some really serious midnight mosquito hunts in my room. It usually involves me running around my bed, t-shirt in hand, jumping and swatting. For some reason these mosquitoes are massive and ridiculously fast and surprisingly really hard to catch. This makes my mosquito killing sprees quite a spectacle for my neighbors, I’m sure. 

The second nighttime, sleep snatching culprits are the street dogs. There are gangs of street dogs everywhere here and its actually the only reason to worry about walking around after dark. They start barking and fighting nonstop around 10 pm and it continues until about 2 am. There have been times when I thought a dog fight was going to leap into my window. Now ordinarily, I would consider myself to be a pacifist; but if I had a sling shot I would have definitely been pelting some pups. 

Finally, once I am drenched in sweat, have managed to block out the incessant barking, and ward off swarms of mosquitoes…it’s inevitable that the roosters set in. :/ hahaha I think I’m doomed to sleepless nights while in Georgia.

No comments:

Post a Comment